Friday, May 8, 2015

10 Random Phrases of North America

Why the weird phrases?
Have you ever noticed that we use the weirdest phrases? "He's just the spitting image of you!" What? What does that even mean? How did someone actually come up with that phrase? It's almost like an inside joke that spread. Inside jokes are hilarious to the people that are actually in on them, but then they spread and everyone else thinks those jokes are nuts because they don't understand them. Here are some of the weirdest phrases that I came up with that are common in the United States. They may or may not make sense!

1. Spitting image
Seriously, how does this make sense?
2. Jumping the gun
If I was hearing this for the first time I would think it was referencing someone getting out of a sticky situation.
3. Bee's Knees
No Bee has any knees.
4. Costs an arm and a leg
How much IS that?..
5. On cloud nine
Personally, I prefer cloud 10
6. Piece of cake
Yum!
7. B-line
I think I don't know where that goes..
8.  The whole kit and caboodle
I've always wanted a caboodle.
9. Coin a phrase
Huh.. Ironic...
10. Happy as a clam
So, how happy is a clam?

No comments:

Post a Comment